The Great Super Treasure Hunt Experiment of 2014: My first gas station find, and mid-afternoon at Target...


The great experiment continues.  My attempt to find all 15 Super Treasure Hunts in stores during the middle of the day on random visits to stores hasn't gone completely as desired, but the occasional find has made it pretty fun.

The count to date:

Chevrolet SS - Found at a rural Walmart at 11:30 am
Sand Blaster - Found at a nearby Walmart around 4:30 pm
Camaro Special Edition - Found at neighboring town Walmart around 3 pm
'71 Mustang Mach 1 - Found on a Saturday afternoon grocery run at Harmon's Market (I found two)
'07 Mustang - no luck
'55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser - no luck
'70 Chevelle SS - Found at two different Walmarts on the same day (one at 10 am, one at 5 pm)
Twin Mill - no luck
'64 Chevy Nova Wagon - no luck
'83 Silverado - we will get to that
'76 Greenwood Corvette - not out in my area yet

6 out of 10 ain't bad, especially considering all were found in the middle of the day.

And we have an update.  I have had a surprising couple of days while traveling for business, and it started with a first.  My first gas station find.  

I spent Tuesday evening driving south from Salt Lake City to St. George, Utah, and I inevitably had to stop for gas.  That meant hitting the Flying J in Beaver, Utah.  While pumping gas, I went into the convenience store for a bottle of water.  While wandering, I saw two small bins with a total of about 50 Hot Wheels, and I of course had a look.

The first thing I noticed, they were crazy expensive for the US - $2.99.  I told myself while starting to look that I would only purchase one if it were a cool error or a Super.  I saw a few models I liked, but left.  Then I saw a Mazda RX-7 Treasure Hunt.  It is a Hunt I would normally pick up, but $2.99 was a deterrent.  That is until I saw one of the last cars in the second bin:


Yep, that is the '07 Mustang Super from 2013.  The fourth time I have found that model.  Glad it is one I really like.  

I said this was my first gas station find.  It is also the oldest Super I have ever found.  It was released almost a year ago.  Certainly it hasn't sat in that bin that long, but it is interesting to wonder how long it has been there.  Considering the $2.99 price, maybe awhile.  

I bit the bullet and went with these:



So that was fun enough, finding an old Super in such an odd location.  But it did nothing to help my quest in 2014.  But I made some progress yesterday.

The theme for my finds this week has been water.  I went into the Flying J for a bottle on Tuesday, leaving with a Super, and the same happened at Target in St. George on Wednesday afternoon.  Of course any visit to Target means a visit to the pegs, and while those pegs weren't full, there were some interesting models.

First, I saw the Porsche 993 in white, meaning the K case was there.  Then the black Hakosuka Skyline.  Then the Ford Fiesta Treasure Hunt.  Our friends at DiecastTVChannel were looking for one, so I could send them this one as part of a trade.  Regular Hunts get left all the time, but there is always the chance it could mean this was a pegged case that hadn't been looked at yet.   Midway down, behind a couple of cars, there is was:




It seems I find Supers well after they were released, after collectors have moved onto the next one, so this we surely unexpected.  I was happy to take it home.



Not a bad two-day haul:



Think I can keep the streak alive?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...